2 Jan 2013

Shimodate

Hello all,

Today we went for a walk in the town again. Looking at some old buildings and doing some shopping in the supermarket. All shops were closed yesterday, but today I got a chance to get a taste of those wonderful wonderful supermarkets.

Also, I found out that sake (Nihonshu) is much cheaper than beer. Pretty rational if you ask me, so I might be convinced to go and start drinking sake on the same level as I drink beer now. You know, getting to know the local tastes and stuff like that... Photos. Let the photos do the talking. I'm rambling.

Anyway, the photos are mostly of buildings built before 1945, street views and two special beers. One local beer from Kawagoe, Coedo (a pretty strongly hopped ale) and the Mugi and Hop special from Sapporo. The latter one was a bit disappointing after the Coedo, since it was pretty flat in taste. I guess that's to be expected from a mass-produced beer in comparison to a local beer brewed with love.

In the evening, the mother of my girlfriend made a grand diner with the strange combination of Tonkatsu and Sashimi. Pretty weird, but delicious and so very Japanese (don't tell me about the foreign origins of Tonkatsu. I know. Shut up).

Cheers!


Toni

P.s. Tomorrow we have to get up early, since we'll be visiting Mashiko! A town famous for its china and earthenware. We need new dishware, so I'm pretty excited about this! Problem? Jealous? :3






2 comments:

  1. Machiko !!! Leuk, Albo, Kina en ik zijn er ook geweest. Heel veel mooi aardewerk en porselein , maar ozo moeilijk kiezen. Ga vooral ook naar de kleine winkeltjes waar de oudjes vaak B-producten aanbieden. Veel plezier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaaaaa! Ik ga mijn ogen de kost geven en proberen de uitgaven binnen de perken te houden. We gaan om 9:00 de deur uit, dus genoeg tijd om te kijken.

      Delete