9 Jan 2013

Machida

Hello all,

As I watch the children's programmes on NHK, another post from me not about the place I live in, but the neighboring town of Machida. The next post will be about something more close by, but I can't promise anything right now, as I've not decided yet what to do today. Maybe I'll take a walk around the neighborhood and stroll to Machida again...

Anyway, a short 15~20 minutes walk from Sagamiono, where Sayumi and I reside, lies the bustling town of Machida. This place is seen as the abscess of Tokyo by many, but it's also the birthplace of Satoshi Tajiri, the father of Pokémon and the inspiration basis of Pallet Town, or Masara Town, the home of Ash Ketchum (Satoshi) as well. So yeah, I'm pretty close to the Jerusalem of all nineties kids who grew up with all those little, cute and deadly creatures.

Machida itself is a chaotic town, full of small shops, eateries, restaurants, bars and gambling halls. This looks more like a place for regular people, rather than the upper-class or more tourist-orientated regions of Tokyo. Just the place for me, as I instantly fell in love with the place.

At lunch, I had my first Okinawa-style meal. Lots of egg, meat, and noodles. The love for Spam is big in Okinawa I noticed, since there were quite a few dishes with Spam on the menue. It's hearty, heavy, and healthy food, very unexpected for a tropical archipelago.

It was a good day, where I discovered that the BookOff also sells a considerable amount of 2nd hand model trains... Not good. Not good...

See you next time!

Toni

P.s. if you hover over the pictures, you can read a short description of the contents.

7 comments:

  1. superleuk Toni. Maar Heineken in de schappen betekent juist love for zhe dutch :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja maar je let niet op de vlag. Heineken is trouwens ook een multinational he. Het staat naast de Amerkaanse Budweiser, dus dat zegt al genoeg...

      Delete
  2. Only been drinking at Machida's Hub once...that's all I know there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's as interesting at daytime as at night I reckon. I've not been there in the evening, but I plan to be soon. I've discovered a nice Horumon-yaki there. :3

      Delete
  3. Buy ALL the eurobeat at BookOff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FILL TEH ENTIRE APARTMENT WITH CD'S AND GET THE WAIFU MAD

      Naw, I'm already pushing boundaries with my model trains :P

      Delete